since this is coming up again, i feel it's important to stress the following facts about privacy on mastodon:
- DMs are stored in plaintext in the database
- yes, this means admins can access them
- it also means they will be accessible if your instance DB is leaked
- however: this is the same as the situation on any other mainstream social media site
- at the end of the day you should make sure you trust your admins
- ultimately: don't use mastodon for privacy-critical messages
Taiwanese anthro kitty. Can't really talk in Japanese.
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!